Saturday, April 30, 2011

Zombifying the library

Welcome to the final blog of the A-Z challenge. I will do a wrap up post about the whole challenge, but I'm pretty amazed I've made it all the way to the end.  I've read and appreciated all your comments, and even if you didn't comment, thanks for coming along for the ride and hope you got something out of my ramblings. I've really enjoyed reading all your blogs, most of which I would have never have known about except for the challenge so it definitely was a success. I'd love to think you've learnt something, or thought about something you hadn't before, or at least been entertained. I do hope to see you round these parts again.

Today's post is dedicated to Zombies. I've a strange fascination with zombies.  My supernatural obsession is not limited to them - I love stories about vampires and werewolves, but Zombies are special case. They have no internal dialog, there is no reasoning with them, and their humanity is totally gone. They are almost a force of nature rather then a monster, an unstoppable force. I try to hunt out good zombie movies, and have recently started reading zombie post apocalyptic novels.

How does this love of the undead tie-in with libraries? Well as you can see above there is a great information literacy comic using the zombie theme to teach college students how to use the library. I think it's a fantastic way of using librarians' skills (the illustrator and author were on the library staff) to create a fun and educational library guide that's been developed to perfectly target their key audience - the modern zombie, pop-culture, and comic, loving audience.

Here's a great interview with the creators:
Zombifying the library: how two creative guys found a way to meet student needs and save the world

Not only are library instructional guides being created using zombies, a South Australian library uses zombies as a theme for their fundraising calender. I've ordered one, and I'm looking forward to seeing in in the flesh, so to speak.

Zombies in the library calender from the South Australian Library & Information Network
"This year the South Australian Library & Information Network (SALIN) Committee has chosen to celebrate our diverse and changing profession through production of the 2011 calendar “Zombies in the Library”. In 12 beautifully rendered scenes the calendar covers such topics as the role of the Zombie in reference, the frustrations faced when the Undead hog the photocopier, and for cataloguers, poses the eternal question: 299.675 or 398.21? All calendars come in A3 size, are professionally bound and beautifully printed (and you can even choose your starting month). Whether its something for the wall in Technical Services or simply a Xmas present for Mum, be sure to place your order."

6 comments:

  1. Hi!
    Sounds like a great way to draw Zombie lover's into the library. Have a great day!

    Sherrie
    Just Books

    P.S. I've loved coming by and reading your posts on libraries. It's been educational as well as fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol that is such a cool idea!

    Congrats on completing the challenge!

    ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally great idea using zombies in this instructional way. My boyfriend is obsessed with zombies, too. Do you have an apocalyptic plan in case the world is overrun by zombies? He does. It includes weapons, safe-houses, and medical precautions. I thought he was the only one, but have found many analytical types have this all figured out in there heads.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Using zombies to encourage library usage? What a novel idea. My passion for zombies stems from that episode of the Smurfs where they all turned purple. Gnap, gnap!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only zombie book I've read is "Pride and prejudice and zombies" and it was awesome, I'll have to check out more zombie books.

    ReplyDelete