Thursday, April 21, 2011

R is for reading 2.0: the social side of reading

Kobo app's reading life - your reads as a book cover
One of my new years resolutions this year is to read more. I'd also like to record more of my impressions of each read. Through this blog I plan on reviewing books on libraries, learning, the net, or interesting reads I think may be useful or entertaining to others. But I also want to record my fiction reads. Some fellow bloggers and twitter friends have very impressive book tallies, managing to have read hundreds of books in 2010. I'm usually lucky to find time to read a dozen, so by making reading a priority I hope to learn a lot more, both through informational books and fiction. I may enroll in one of several reading challenges I see going on various blogs. I'm in no way a speed reader, so it's a big challenge for me, but I like a good challenge. Also, a book has to obsess me, if I can put it down, it won't get finished.

So how will I record all my reads? Looking on the web I've got plenty of choices. It seems reading has now become a social activity, through popular sites like librarything, good reads and shelfari, members can record their reads; share their reviews with others; connect with authors and build communities based around their favourite books. This type of community can turn into a powerful tool for libraries, through things such as librarything for libraries, which integrates the library thing database into library catalogues, adding rich metadata, like related books, cover images and book reviews.

Some other sites include: Amigo reader Goodreads Kobo's my reading life and Amazon Kindle's Read.Review.Remember



Reading 2.0

So what are all these sites exactly for?
You've heard of Web 2.0. Be prepared to enter the world of Reading 2.0. This is reading with a social spin. Using the internet we can now easily share what, when and who we are reading. We can find people who share opinions and find groups with similar tastes. For me, this social reading revolution is coming into its own on the iPad version of Kobo ereading software. This app tracks the ebooks you read and you can choose to share information about your reads by linking the app with Facebook.The great thing about it is it's seamless - no need to add books to your reading history, it automatically tracks everything you do in a section of the reading app called "My reading life".

The problem with this is it only works with Kobo bought ebooks, not print books, which is shame as I am still borrowing and reading these from the library. But I have bought several Kobo books, and I'm sure I will buy more.

Do you share your reads? How do you find time to read and review them?

3 comments:

  1. I don't tend to share my reads, which is a shame. I'd like to, but reviewing takes time! I should start at least summarizing and adding a few insights on my blog of the books I read for grad school, but then I fear the material may not be suitable for a wide variety of readers. We'll see.

    I also saw that Kindle has rolled out elending. They will be joining up with libraries to allow patrons to borrow books digitally!

    How does this affect you at work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!
    It seems reading a book and keeping track of it is a major job sometimes. I personally limit mine to my blog and facebook. I have accounts at Goodreads, but don't use it as much. Plus I have all the books I read on my computer. Have a great day!

    Sherrie
    Just Books
    http://sherriesbooks.blogspot.com/2011/04/to-z-blogging-challenge-r.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, sherrie, i could use the computer, and have a good reads account too. I like the kobo app as i dont have to do anything!

    TRR, the Kindle announcement is exciting for me as a public library user, but won't effect my work as we don't use Overdrive (yet), which is what Amazon will use to distribute the kindle books to libraries. The problem with overdrive is it's one book per person, we use an ebook vendor that let's our students look at the same book at the same time. The Overdrive service is going to get a lot more library customers with this announcement. Something for my library to think about, as kindle has a lot of etextbooks.

    ReplyDelete