Thursday, April 7, 2011

F is for 43things - What do you want to do with your life?

43things.com asks the intriguing question, "What do you want to do with your life?"

It's a question I've often asked myself. 43things' somewhat simplistic solution to this perplexing question is to have you list 43 things that you want to to do with your life. You can see how popular your goals are, receive "cheers" from the community, and track your progress and review how you felt after you completed your goal. I think this site could be really useful for achieving your life's, or even this week's, dreams.




Goals don't have to be as worthy as "Teach literacy in the slums of Calcutta" - heck, most are about trying to live a life you can be happy in.

I've shared my professional goals on LinkedIn via a great group about libraries in the year 2025. Stay tuned for my N post on next generation libraries.

How things got my 43 things list:

I thought of things I'll be able to do one day, that will make me happy, and therefore, make me easier to be around. I think once we are happy ourselves we can better help others. Though I'm sure helping others makes one happy - that's why volunteer is on my list.

My goals might not be as world-changing, humanistic and selfless as I'd like to imagine them to be, but they are real.

Here are some of my 43things (so far).
Go on a cycle tour

Visit the Library of Congress

Visit NYPL, and their reading room.

Go paragliding

Visit South America.



A view from Knight's Point, West Coast. Goal: house with sea view.



So, what do you want to do with your life?

3 comments:

  1. Great googly moogly--I think I'll just borrow your list!

    Among my top wanna-do's: The hike up the Sydney Harbor Bridge, and then, tours of Australia and New Zealand.

    Photographing wildlife in South and Central America.

    Alaska and the Grand Canyon.

    Gettin' a book or so in print would suit me fine, too.

    Best,
    Joe
    f: first & final

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!
    Wonderful idea. I would love to see the NYC library. Have a great day!

    Sherrie
    Just Books
    http://sherriesbooks.blogspot.com/2011/04/to-z-blogging-challenge_07.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd down for all those things, especially the library visits and travel - you can keep the paragliding though. I love goal-setting websites like 43 things. What's better than listing out your dreams?

    ReplyDelete